Evrim Acar is an Assistant Professor at Chemometrics and Analytical Technology, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen,
Denmark. Her research interests are data mining, machine learning, and mathematical modeling; in particular, tensor decompositions and their applications in social network analysis, computational neuroscience, metabolomics and chemometrics. Evrim received the Danish Council for Independent Research Sapere Aude Elite Young Researcher Award in 2012.
Evrim received her MS and PhD in Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY)
in December, 2006 and May, 2008. She got her BS in Computer Engineering from Bogazici University
(Istanbul, Turkey) in July, 2003. (see
Publications ( Google Scholar Citations ):
- Forecasting Chronic Diseases using Data Fusion, (E. Acar, G. Gurdeniz, F. Savorani, L. Hansen, A. Olsen, A. Tjønneland, L.O. Dragsted, R. Bro), Submitted for Publication, January 2017.
- Common and Distinct Components in Data Fusion, (A.K. Smilde, I. Mage, T. Naes, T. Hankemeier, M.A. Lips, H.A.L. Kiers, E. Acar, R. Bro), Journal of Chemometrics (to appear), 2017.
- New Nordic diet versus average Danish diet: a randomized controlled trial revealed healthy long-term effects of the new Nordic diet by GC-MS blood plasma metabolomics, (B. Khakimov, S.K. Poulsen, F. Savorani, E. Acar , G. Gürdeniz, T.M. Larsen, A. Astrup, L.O. Dragsted, and S.B. Engelsen), Journal of Proteome Research, 15(6): 1939-1954, 2016.
- Data Fusion in Metabolomics using Coupled Matrix and Tensor Factorizations, (E. Acar, R. Bro, A.K. Smilde), Proceedings of the IEEE, 103: 1602-1620, 2015.
- Multiscale entropy analysis of resting-state magnetoencephalogram with tensor factorisations in Alzheimer's disease, (J. Escudero, E. Acar, A. Fernandez, R. Bro), Brain Research Bulletin, 119: 136-144, 2015.
- Link Prediction in Heterogeneous Data via Generalized Coupled Tensor Factorization, (B. Ermis, E. Acar, A.T. Cemgil), Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 29(1): 203-236, 2015.
- Structure-Revealing Data Fusion, (E. Acar, E.E. Papalexakis, G. Gurdeniz, M. Rasmussen, A.J. Lawaetz, M. Nilsson, R. Bro), BMC Bioinformatics, 15: 239, 2014.
- Understanding Data Fusion Within the Framework of Coupled Matrix and Tensor Factorizations, (E. Acar, M. Rasmussen, F. Savorani, T. Naes, R. Bro), Chemometrics and
Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 129:53-63, 2013.
- Patterns of time since last meal revealed by sparse PCA in an observational LC-MS based metabolomics study, (G. Gurdeniz, L. Hansen, M. Rasmussen, E. Acar, A. Olsen, J. Christensen, T. Barri, A. Tjønneland, L.O. Dragsted), Metabolomics, 9(5): 1073-1081, 2013.
- Coupled Matrix Factorization with Sparse Factors to Identify Potential Biomarkers in Metabolomics, (E. Acar, G. Gurdeniz, M. Rasmussen, D. Rago, L.O. Dragsted, R. Bro), International Journal of Knowledge Discovery in Bioinformatics, 3: 22-43, 2012.
- Coclustering - a useful tool for Chemometrics, (R. Bro, E.E. Papalexakis, E. Acar, N.D. Sidiropoulos), Journal of Chemometrics, 26:256-263, 2012.
- Coupled Analysis of in Vitro and Histology Tissue Samples to Quantify Structure-Function Relationship, (E. Acar, G.E. Plopper, B. Yener), PLoS One, 7(3): e32227, 2012.
- Scalable Tensor Factorizations for Incomplete Data, (E. Acar, D.M. Dunlavy, T.G. Kolda, M. Morup), Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 106(1):41-56, 2011.
- A Scalable Optimization Approach for Fitting Canonical Tensor Decompositions, (E. Acar, D.M. Dunlavy, T.G. Kolda), Journal of Chemometrics, 25(2):67-86, 2011.
- Temporal Link Prediction using Matrix and Tensor Factorizations, (D.M. Dunlavy, T.G. Kolda, E. Acar), ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery in Data, 5(2), Article
- Unsupervised Multiway Data Analysis: A Literature Survey, (E. Acar and B. Yener), IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 21(1): 6-20, 2009.
- New Exploratory Clustering Tool, (E. Acar, R. Bro, B. Schmidt), Journal of Chemometrics, 22(1): 91-100, 2008.
- Resolving the Sign Ambiguity in the Singular Value Decomposition, (R. Bro, E. Acar, T.G. Kolda), Journal of Chemometrics, 22(2):135-140, 2008.
- Multiway Analysis of Epilepsy Tensors, (E. Acar, C.A. Bingol, H. Bingol, R. Bro and B. Yener), Bioinformatics, 23(13): i10-i18, 2007.
- Proteomics Reveals Multiple Routes to the Osteogenic Phenotype in Mesenchymal Stem Cells, (K.P. Bennett, C. Bergeron, E. Acar, R.F. Klees, S.L. Vandenberg, B. Yener, G.E. Plopper), BMC Genomics,
- ACMTF for Fusion of Multi-Modal Neuroimaging Data and Identification of Biomarkers, (E. Acar, Y. Levin-Schwartz, V.D. Calhoun, T. Adali), EUSIPCO (to appear), 2017.
- Tensor-Based Fusion of EEG and FMRI to Understand Neurological Changes in Schizophrenia, (E. Acar, Y. Levin-Schwartz, V.D. Calhoun, T. Adali), IEEE ISCAS (to appear), 2017.
- A Flexible Modeling Framework for Coupled Matrix and Tensor Factorizations , (E. Acar, M. Nilsson, M. Saunders), EUSIPCO, 2014.
- Incorporating Higher Dimensionality in Joint Decomposition of EEG and fMRI , (W. Swinnen, B. Hunyadi, E.Acar,S. Van Huffel, M. De Vos), EUSIPCO, 2014.
- Optimal Weight Learning for Coupled Tensor Factorization with Mixed Divergences, (U. Simsekli, B. Ermis, A. T. Cemgil, E. Acar), EUSIPCO, 2013.
- Structure Revealing Data Fusion Model with Applications in Metabolomics, (E. Acar, A. J. Lawaetz, M. Rasmussen, R. Bro), Proc. 35th Int.
Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 6023-6026, 2013. (Code Available with CMTF Toolbox)
- Tensor-based Computation and Modeling in Multi-Resolution Digital Pathology Imaging: Application to Follicular Lymphoma Grading, (E. Acar, G. Lozanski, M. N. Gurcan), SPIE Medical Imaging: Digital Pathology, 867603, 2013.
- Coupled Matrix Factorization with Sparse Factors to Identify Potential Biomarkers in Metabolomics, (E. Acar, G. Gurdeniz, M. Rasmussen, D. Rago, L. Dragsted, R. Bro), ICDM Workshop on Biological Data Mining and its Applications in Healthcare , pp. 1-8, 2012.
- Link Prediction via Generalized Coupled Tensor Factorisation (B. Ermis, E. Acar, A. T. Cemgil), ECML/PKDD Workshop on Collective Learning and Inference on Structured Data, 2012.
- All-at-once Optimization for Coupled Matrix and Tensor Factorizations, (E. Acar, T.G.Kolda, D.M.Dunlavy) KDD Workshop on Mining and Learning with Graphs, 2011. (Code Available with CMTF Toolbox)
- Scalable Tensor Factorizations with Missing Data, (E. Acar, D.M.Dunlavy, T.G.Kolda, M. Morup) SDM, pp. 701-712, 2010.
(Code Available with Tensor Toolbox v.2.4)
- Link Prediction on Evolving Data using Matrix and Tensor Factorizations, (E. Acar, T.G.Kolda, D.M.Dunlavy) ICDM Workshop on Large-Scale Data Mining: Theory and Applications, pp. 262-269, 2009.
- Seizure Recognition on Epilepsy Feature Tensor, (E. Acar, C.A.Bingol, H.Bingol, R.Bro, B.Yener), Proc. 29th Int.
Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 4273-4276, 2007.
Analysis of Epileptic Focus Localization, (E. Acar, C.A.Bingol, H.Bingol, B.Yener), Proc.4th Int. Conf. IASTED Biomedical Engineering, pp. 317-322, 2006.
- Collective Sampling and Analysis of High-order Tensors for Chatroom
Communications, (E. Acar, S.A.Camtepe, B.Yener), Proc. IEEE Int. Conf on Intelligence and Security Informatics, LNCS, Vol. 3975, pp. 213-224, 2006.
- Modeling and Multiway Analysis of Chatroom Tensors, (E. Acar, S.A.Camtepe, M.Krishnamoorthy, B.Yener), Proc. IEEE Int. Conf on Intelligence and Security Informatics, LNCS, Vol. 3495,
pp. 256-268, 2005.
v1.0: A Matlab Toolbox for Gradient-Based Optimization, (D.M.Dunlavy, T.G.Kolda, E.Acar),
SAND2010-1422, March, 2010.
- Modeling and
Detection of Epileptic Seizures using Multi-modal Data Construction and
Analysis, (E. Acar, C.A.Bingol, H.Bingol, R.Bro, A.L.Ritaccio, B.Yener), RPI Tech Report
Some conferences/workshops with sessions on tensor computing:
- Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop: Tensor Computing for Internet of Things, Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany,
April 10-13, 2016 (Co-organizer).
- Workshop on Tensor Decompositions and Applications, Leuven, Belgium,
January 18-22, 2016 (Speaker)
- SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, Boston, MA,
Feb. 25- March 1, 2013 (Minisymposium Organizer/Speaker)
- SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra 2012, Valencia, Spain,
June 18-22, 2012 (Minisymposium Speaker)
- TRICAP 2012, Bruges, Belgium,
June 2-7, 2012 (Speaker)
Workshop on Multiscale Modeling of Complex Data, RPI, Troy, NY,
September 12-14, 2011 (Invited Speaker)
- Workshop on
Tensor Approximation in High Dimension, Bonn, Germany, August 2-5,
2011 (Invited Speaker)
on Tensor Decompositions and Applications, Monopoli, Bari, Italy,
September 13-17, 2010 (Speaker)
Workshop: Computational Optimization for Tensor Decompositions, Palo
Alto, CA, March 29-April 2, 2010.
- SIAM Conference on
Applied Linear Algebra , Monterey, CA, October 26-29, 2009
- SIAM Annual Meeting
2009, Denver, CO, July 6-10, 2009 (Minisymposium Organizer/Speaker)
- TRICAP 2009, Nuria, Spain,
June 14-19, 2009 (Speaker)
- SIAM Conference on
Computational Science and Engineering, Miami, FL, March 2-6, 2009
- NSF Workshop
: Future Directions in Tensor-based Computation and Modeling,
Arlington, VA, Feb. 20-21, 2009 (Speaker)
- KDD 2008
Workshop on Data Mining using Matrices and Tensors, Las Vegas,
Nevada, August 24, 2008 (Speaker)
- SIAM Annual Meeting
2008, Town & Country Resort Hotel, San Diego, CA, July 7-11,
2008 (Minisymposium Speaker)
- ICIAM 2007, Zurich,
Switzerland, July 16-20, 2007 (Minisymposium Speaker)
on Algorithms for Modern Massive Data Sets, Stanford University, CA,
June 25-28, 2006 (Poster Presenter)
2006, Crete, Greece, June 4-9, 2006.
Maintained by: Evrim Acar (thanks to Tammy Kolda
for the web page template).